Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Remember Working: Wal-Mart

I remember working at Wal-Mart.
I remember standing at a cash register for hours at a time. When I went on break I would just sit. I would just spend fifteen minutes sitting and resting my feet.

Every Wal-Mart has a number of different departments within the store that are always staffed. They have people in clothing. There is someone in the toy section. They have people in electronics and sports and the pharmacy. The store I worked at was the same.
Every Wal-Mart has a housewares department. The Wal-Mart I worked at was wierd because our housewares department existed in a sort of limbo. No one was ever available in housewares and no one was sure if anyone actually worked there.
If you asked people would say, "of course we have people who work in housewares." But no one could actually name anyone assigned housewares. Logically we would think there must be someone working there but we did not know who.
If you called housewares you got no answer. If you paged housewares no one ever called back. If you actually walked over to the housewares section you could not find any Wal-Mart employees there.

I imagine that this must happen in other Wal-Mart's and other stores. Maybe every store has at least one limbo department. The department that never seems to have anyone working in it because no one actaully knows who works there.

No comments:

Post a Comment