Friday, July 10, 2009

Space story that has no title yet

“Where did this ship really come from?” demanded Janessa, “I know the story but it doesn’t add up. There is no way the Solar Fleet was able to develop this technology this fast.”
“We have had twenty years to work on it,” said Kerrigan, “We have spent that entire time finding new ways to fight the Ghost Horde. This ship is the culmination of that achievement. Why is it so hard for you to accept that little girl?”
“Because she knows it is a lie,” said Duron.
Janessa said nothing when he entered. Of all the people she had tried to convince. Why did it have to be him that believed her?
“You do not have permission to divulge any such information Commander Duron,” said Kerrigan.
“He has my permission,” said the deep voice behind Duron.
The thing that stepped out of the shadows was the shape of a man. He was over six feet tall. He wore a black bodysuit and a rather menacing helmet with sharp mandibles sculpted on it and horn like antennae.
“What are you doing out here?” said Kerrigan startled.
“You are a very clever young woman,” said the tall dark creature, “you are right. This ship was not developed by the Solar Fleet. This ship belongs to me.”
“And who are you?” asked Janessa.
“I am Zai, last of the Raath,” he replied, “That which I serve has sent me to aid humanity in this time of crisis. I have come here with this ship, the last remaining Raath warship and I am allowing the Solar Fleet to use it to combat the Ghost Horde.”
“Are you an alien?” asked Janessa coming to the realization.
“By your definition I am an alien. I come from the planet Zeith. My world is gone now, my people destroyed.”
“Were your people attacked by the Ghost Horde?”
“No they were destroyed by a force far more dangerous.”
Janessa wanted to ask what could possibly be worse than the Horde but Zai turned away.
Before he was gone Zai said, “You would do well to remember who this ship belongs to Mr. Kerrigan. You may have a position of authority in the Solar Fleet, but you have none over me.”
Kerrigan was sweating slightly. He told Janessa she was not to speak of this to anyone and stormed off. She was left there standing alone in the corridor with Duron. She caught him looking at her and she turned away in disgust.
“We will be approaching Mars soon,” he said, “Make sure you are ready to deploy if necessary.”
“I know my duty,” Janessa snapped at him.
“You do not have to like me Pilot Janessa,” said Duron, “but remember that I am your superior officer.”
He walked away without saying anymore. And for a moment Janessa remembered a time when he was the center of her world and she was the center of his. Then she remembered the day Tania died and why she could never forgive Duron for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment